SELLING OR BUYING A HOUSE
IS THE HOUSE YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY TESTED?
SELLING YOUR HOUSE
If you are thinking of selling your home and have already tested for radon, review the Radon Testing Checklist to make sure that the test was done correctly. If so, provide your test results to the buyer.
Regardless of what kind of test was taken, a potential buyer may ask for a new test, especially if:
- The Radon Testing Checklist items were not met;
- The last test is not recent, e.g., within five years;
- You have renovated or altered your home since you tested; or
- The buyer plans to live in a lower level of the house than was tested, such as a basement suitable for occupancy but not currently occupied.
If you are selling and your home has not yet been tested for radon…
Have a test taken as soon as possible, ideally before putting it on the market.
BUYING A HOUSE
If you are thinking of buying a home that has been tested, you may decide to accept an earlier test result from the seller or ask the seller for a new test to be conducted by a qualified radon tester. Before you accept the seller's test, you should determine:
- The results of previous testing;
- Who conducted the previous test: the homeowner, a radon professional or some other person;
- Where in the home the previous test was taken, especially if you may plan to live in a lower level of the home. For example, the test may have been taken on the first floor. However, if you want to use the basement as living space, test there; and
- What, if any, structural changes, alterations or changes in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system have been made to the house since the test was done. Such changes may affect radon levels.
If the house you are looking to buy has not yet been tested for radon…
Make sure a radon test is done! Remember that it is your responsibility to inspect the house prior to signing the contract.
LONG TERM TESTS
To get a full test report a long-term radon testing should be done over a minimum of 60 days. The long-term testings should be done between 1st October - 30th April.
To get an indication of the radon levels, a short-term radon testing can be done over a minimum of ten days. The short-term testings can be done any time of the year.